Question

chrissychic70

Will a settled collections account hurt my score?
I found a collection account on my report from 5 years ago and need it paid off to buy a house ASAP. I was offered a lower settlement amount. Will taking this settlement bring my score down or effect it negatively?

If the account hasn't updated in a while then a payment may cause a ding to your credit. As far as "paid" vs. "settled" it doesn't matter either way to the scoring systems. Will it matter to future lenders, I don't know. Either way, no matter what happens you will need to get the collection closed to be able to get a mortgage. If it were me and I could save a decent amount of money with the settlement I would settle. Before you get ready to apply for a mortgage spend some time researching for lenient mortgage lenders and have a list ready to go in case you are not approved by the first one.

Also know that lenders won't use the scores that you get here, they will use FICO and probably a mortgage version. If needed, push the purchase out a little while until you can improve things to a good level.