Question

ShadowGothGurl

Will a new mortgage lower my score?
I am wanting to refi my car once I close on my mortgage so wanted to know if anyone knows how the new mortgage will do to my credit score and how long should I anticipate waiting before I am able to refi my car?

Most Helpful Response

First, don't do anything until the mortgage is secured. The mortgage will lower your credit, by how much, it is hard to say. Opening the new mortgage will come with "Hard Inquiries" and lowering the "average age of accounts" and adding a loan with a full balance owed. All of which ding credit scores. I guess you will just have to wait and see once the mortgage is secured. One thing you may try (AFTER the mortgage is secured and no more credit checks will be done for it) is to hurry up and try to refi the car before the mortgage hits your reports. It usually take a month or two for a new account to show up on your credit reports.

Krissie72

Excellent advice about waiting until after the mortgage closes, and also about doing the car refi before your mortgage hits your reports. I closed on my house over three months ago and it's still not on my reports. 
I've been trying to find out that information myself, and there's so much conflicting info out there it's impossible to get a straight answer. Best case scenario, it will go up about ten points--that's what has happened according to some people in other forums. According to my Experian simulator, there will be no effect (which I find hard to believe). According to the Credit Karma and Capital One simulators, my score will take a huge dive, about 60 points.

Anyway, if your score ends up dropping, you'll want to have done the car refi before that happens, obviously, because the higher your credit score is the less you'll pay in interest.