Question

LVHcoziness

Will a new credit card hurt my score as I try to apply for a home loan in the next 3 months?
I want to raise my line of credit by adding a new credit card as I hope to apply for a home loan in the very near future. I know this will cause an inquiry on my credit report, but will this help my score overall?

Most Helpful Response

If you are planning on applying for a mortgage in 3 months, you should not apply for any type of credit right now.  Simply keep ur utilization 0-7%, and all payments on time.  If your scores are at least in the mid600s you will be fine.  Once you have the keys to ur house, feel free to apply.  Especially, after ur mortgage starts to report, you.  Having a mortgage will get u approved for just about anything.

LVHcoziness

Thank you. This is exactly the answer I was looking for.

Your score will drop initially

and will increase slowly over time.