Question

ITLady

Will a garnishment badly hurt my credit score?
How badly will a garnishment effect my credit score?

I've been working hard the last year and a half to rebuild my CS which is at 725 now and just received a letter for a garnishment of a debt that I forgot about (and hasn't been on my credit report) is about 8 years old. According to the papers, the original debt judgment was $1500 and I owe $610 of it yet. Luckily, I'm doing okay financially and 1 paycheck will take care of the balance owed.

I'm wondering if I can call the attorney office and pay it with them in lieu of through my paycheck?

I was/am hoping to buy a house in the next 6 months and I don't have any other items in collections (paid them all off), the only debt I currently have (aside from this) is my car.

I would contact them as soon as you are able to pay it in full and request prior to paying it that they do not renew the judgement on your reports.