Question

log3nd

Will a dispute on my credit card affect my credit score?
I am not sure what a dispute is or how it works, so I am concern it may affect my credit score.

Probably, and that's not necessarily bad

Disclosure: I work for one of the three credit bureaus, but my advice is my own representation and not any reflection/relation to my employer.

Generally, when an item is in dispute, it will show up on the credit report as a disputed item, but usually is not counted in credit scores (this really depends on the scoring model being used, whether FICO, VantageScore, or another, but is usually the case). When an item is disputed, the bureau has a 30-day window to verify the dispute with the creditor in question. If the dispute is legitimate, the item should be removed. If the creditor affirms that the account is legitimate, it will stay on the report and the "disputed" designation will go away; the account reports as normal. If you still believe the item is to be disputed, I think you can still disagree and the account is marked something like "Account disputed - consumer disagrees" or something like that.

OmegaSD

Oh, sorry, to clarify, if the account is being disputed, your score will be calculated using all the other information on your report and excluding the disputed account. If the disputed status goes away, the account will then be included in any scoring calculation. Your score does not necessarily drop or rise because you dispted an account; however, it may drop or rise because a disputed account is being included or excluded from the calculation. In other words, you're not penalized for disputing something, but the nature of what happens when you dispute (account being included/excluded) does affect a credit score.