Question

Cisco61

Why would my score drop 60 pts when only negative items came off my file? Confused

Most Helpful Response

Age of Oldest Account influences Score

I think you have the same problem I have. Now that you've cleared out your file it has a shorter number of years in the credit history.

In the same boat :)

While I was deployed my exhusband's daughter had a field day opening over 20 accounts over a period of years.  I have disputed these items and when they came off my Credit Karna my score dropped nearly 100 points.  The Credit Karma calculus doesn't exactly handle these situations well but they are good at reporting changes in a timely manner. I use myfico.com to get an my actual numbers.  It also seems my scores go back up quickly on CK after a hit like this.  The model CK uses doesn't necessarily work well for situations that are far beyond the range of normal activity.  Dropping 10 or in my case 20+ accounts isn't a normal thing and when those accounts are several years old, the aging of accounts is greatly affected.   The thing I like best about CK is they report an inquiry super fast.  To me that is very important to prevent fraud. 

Even if it was negative, was this your oldest account?  Start rebuilding your credit with new cards so that your average age of accounts (AAOA) will start to grow.  

more than likely its the Age of Account

I had an 848 credit score last month when I refinanced my mortgage. I then closed some old unused credit cards and my score dropped to 817.  I lost 31 points. I was told that I should have kept the older credit cards open, since at least one of them was one of my oldest credit accounts still open.  Now that it’s closed my age of credit doesn't appear to be as old as it did before.  Basically I lost 4 years in my age of credit which is why my score took such a huge hit. Luckily my score is still in the excellent range. 

I've been told to check the ages of credit cards that you have and make sure that the oldest card is kept active to avoid the possibility that the bank will close the account because it’s inactive.  The best strategy is to use that old credit card to pay some charge that you incur every month.  It doesn't have to be a huge charge, just enough to keep the account active.  To avoid the possibility of forgetting to pay the bill, or pay it on time, set it up to automatically pay the balance every month.  This will keep the account active and will keep your age of credit safe.  Remember, for a good credit score you have to owe money to somebody.  Paying off everything isn't the best way to handle your money, since it will hurt your score, which costs you money when you look for more credit, to buy a car, or a home, because the lower the credit score the higher the interest rate you'll pay on the money.  

Another good trick if you own a home and have any equity in it all, open a Line of Credit against your home.  My current Home Equity Line of Credit is for 50k.  That means I have up to $50,000 to draw on if I need it, and I’m locked into a low interest rate on that money.  But in all honesty the interest rate doesn’t really matter because the money you use from the HELOC is almost like an interest free loan from the government because the interest on the Home Equity Line of Credit is tax deductible at the end of the year.  So instead of charging a big purchase on your credit card and paying interest, take some money from your HELOC and pay for that purchase, and it won’t cost you a thing.  I’m not an accountant so don’t take my word for it, check with a tax accountant to make sure this is true in your situation.  Free money is always good, and it can only help you raise your credit score.  Just make sure that you always pay at least the minimum monthly payment on the account.

My score drop 58 points, too and I don't know why. I can't even imagine why because in the last couple of months I didn't buy anything big or rented or anything else exeptional happens with any account or credit card.

i pay my bills one time

why is my score so low du i have to get lawyer b on timee cause this not fair i pay my bills every moth

onelovekissyface

Enter Your Reply same 

Floridabiker777

Creditkarma gives you your Vantage 3.0 score while there's still Fico around which is probably  most popular.  I would check my Fico scores also.  These two types of scores can vary greatly.  And there are many, many more out there!  Remember to use your cc's and have only one reporting a balance every month for optimal scores.  Also try & keep that at 1% and no higher than 9%.  You would be surprised what a difference having 4/5 cc's reporting a balance as opposed to 1 cc reporting a balance will make.

my score dropped 50 pt. now im at 785, please help