Question

duncanslay

Why would my Equifax score fall 40 points when the only thing changed is a lower % of credit used?
Transunion didn't change, but Equifax was already higher...

I paid all my cards down

to less than 7% on any card,  My score fell from 800+ to 704 in a couple of weeks,  WHY?  

Because I paid my debts....

Realize that credit scoring was created by the banks and credit co's to find a way to rate the best customers for them,  The best customer for them owe lots of money, but not too much,  and pay on time every month.  These are the people that are the banks make money off of.  So if you owe them less, your a less desirable customer.  

Not to worry though, the drastic fall in your score was caused becuase of the change in your average debt.  Becuase credit scoring uses algeritiums that average your debt and payments over time, your score should bounce back up after a while.  

You are relatively new here and may not have had the chance to go through the articles here, so I recommend taking some time to do so for a really outstanding  credit education.  Since only you can see your credit information here, it is going to be up to you to learn how credit works and find what may be the 'gllitch' causing a score drop.  Also, the Vantage 3 scoring system used here tends to fluctuate a lot, and that is no reflection on you. Strive to get your accounts paid in full every month (saves on interest cost) and use the cards periodically to keep them active. Don't worry about the monthly numbers, but, if a trend down show, you need to check to see what happened.

duncanslay

Yes,I've read your canned answer before. I have read enough, and followed the advice enough, to assume that if CK recommends that I lower my total usage percentage, then I should expect that to help, not hurt,  my score. A small fluctuation wouldn't have bothered me either way, but 40 points seemed to be a significant change.