Question

NITEOWL984

Why would I get a B credit rating instead of an A ?
I cant imagine why I would not have an "A" rating. I have no debt and only 2 credit cards and in store credit cards which I pay off EVERY month. NO outstanding balances beyond a month and ALL are always paid on time or early. I am retired with sufficient income and NO DEBT. What's the deal??

Most Helpful Response

Not enough open credit lines

is probably what is bringing down your score. The highest scores come with a lot of open credit, The best scores come with open lines of credit in the $50,000 to $100,000 range and carring about 15% debt.

Your good habits of paying your debts on time and living within your means hurts you in the long run. I know it makes no sense, but it is the reality.

Since you're retired, I assume that you do not want to carring a lot of debt. So unless you are trying to raise your score so you can take out a large loan, you probably don't need to worry about your score.

Good Luck

NITEOWL984

Thanks for the info. Makes sense to me and since I dont anticipate ever making a loan I guess credit ratings dont matter much.