Question

Ahorton1

why would a defunct company (columbia house, bmg) still be on my credit report?
I have two companies on my credit report from years ago. They are Columbia House and BMG. I want to know how or why would I still owe them and they don't even exist anymore? And if I do still owe them, how do I go about setting up a payment plan of some sort?

Most Helpful Response

Google search--now Direct Brands

I just did a Google search and Columbia House/BMG/RCA Music Service are now known as Direct Brands, though they may (seem to be) listed on your credit report by the name you originally subscribed to.

Now, the big question is, how old is this debt?  It will remain on your credit report for 7 years after the date of last activity (payment), but should drop off after that.   It would help to learn what the statute of limitations on consumer debt is for your state.  If the statute of limitations has not yet expired on the debt, then you can do a Google search for the contact number for that company to determine the amount of debt and make payment arrangements.  If the statute has expired, then you can dispute the debt because it would be uncollectable under the law.