Question

Rjgood04

Why won't a company do a goodwill 30 late payment removal?
I had 4 - 30 day late payments on my credit report. I wrote a letter to the two companies asking for a goodwill removal. And one did, but the other didn't. Every time I call, they say there is nothing they can do. I'm courteous and respectful on the phone and eventually ask for a manager. Then I get sent to voice mail... It's a major car manufacturer's loan company. I have since paid off the loan and it is closed. It has 3 of those 30 day late payments over the 5 years of the loan. Besides writing and calling, what else can I do to get them to at least take off one of those? Should I just keep calling until they "break?" :)

Most Helpful Response

The previous contributor is giving you inaccurate information.  The FCRA DOES NOT require "reporting of all credit accounts"; it simply stipulates that IF a company decides to report something, it must report it accurately.  Companies can, at their discretion, remove the accounts from your credit report.

These were actually late payments that you failed to make on time, or did these just show on your credit report?

If it was just on your credit report but not due to your own error, then it could be one of the numerous errors that happen and you can file a dispute on that with the credit bureau reporting it.  That is why we are advised to check out credit reports annually.  If you haven't done a thorough check, go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of your credit reports.  Look them over and file disputes on all wrong information. 

If the lates reported actually were due to your missing payments, you are fortunate that one company was nice enough to remove them.  They didn't have to.  The Fair Credit Reporting Act is a federal regulation requiring reporting of all credit accounts for a total of 7 years past the "date of last activity" (usually payment) and there are no provisions for getting them removed before then.  They are part of your credit history and must remain for the required time.