Question

quziesue1955

Why the continual lowering score if I pay my bills on time?
I pay my bills way before they are do yet my score keeps dropping. I've had some emergency charges on my credit card which I see has contributed to the lower score. It seems it doesn't matter that I pay my bills on time each month and more than the minimum balance, it still goes down. I get penalized for using my credit card and paying each bill on time!!! What gives! This is a scam!

Most Helpful Response

There is such a thing as "too early."

Notice on your credit card statements the two dates.  One is the "date due" which is when they want the payments in.  The other is "Closing Date" which is when they total the charges made since the last billing cycle, deduct any payments made and generate the bill for mailing.  If you are paying the total amount due (NOT the minimum payment) shown on your card statement, things should be fine with the credit score. Using the card is good.  Paying the "Total Balance Due" is good. Paying more than the total balance due is bad because it affects your "usage rating" which is a part of your credit score. 

All of these topics are well covered in the articles provided on this site (see left side of this page under Resources) because Credit Karma's purpose is teaching people about credit so they can get the best use of it.  This is one necessary skill that is not taught in any schools, unfortunately, but it's a valuable skill to learn.