Question

julzc

Why is People's Energy showing up as a loan on my credit report now?
A few months ago PEOPLES ENGY (gas utility) started appearing under Other Loans. I've never missed a payment and have no outstanding balance with them. The strange thing is it was reported 18 months ago. I'm really confused.

PEOPLES ENGY
opened Oct 01 2010

Reported Balance $71
reported Mar 10, 2012

Missed Payments 0

Most Helpful Response

There's no reason why a utility could not report your payment history. Since there is no credit limit established for the 'line of credit' it does not add to your credit limits but might add to your utilization. Since it is listed under other loans it may be treated differently and not affect your score unless you start missing payment due dates. I wouldn't be concerned otherwise, unless you simply do not have an account with them. In which case you should be disputing the item.

Okay thanks.  It's just confusing because a) it's not a loan, b)  it just started showing up on CreditKarma but says last updated Mar 10th, 2012.  As you suggested, I won't worry about it. :)

Same thing for me

I had the same thing on my report, also. Same date, for around one hundred dollars... 

Same Issue

I have a $100 "loan" from Peoples Energy from 2011 but havn't lived in Chicago since October 2013. I even closed my account with them and recieved my security deposit back...

Average Age of Credit

The bigger concern is that it impacts the average age of credit calculation.

Likewise

Except mine'so with DTE Energy. Seems strange.