Question

Semaj2k3

Why is my wifes credit scores 70 points higher than mine?
Neither of us have anything derogatory nor any collections nor any public records. My utilization % is lower than hers, my inquires are less (3 vs 5), My payment history is better (100% vs 99%), I have a longer credit history than her, I have more accounts than her (40 vs 34). We have the same credit limits, but I have less credit card debt than her. We both have the exact same student loan and mortgage amounts. How can her scores be so much higher than mine?

Most Helpful Response

Sounds like they like her better than you.  I'm kidding.   Its not a competition.   Actually, it is.   Your credit reports are not the exact same.  Start with you have 40 accounts, she has 34.  You obviously don't have the exact same accounts.   Did she start with a higher score than you when you started out and it is still carrying forward?    Is one of the payments she is making before the reporting date.  While your's is on the due date.  Your utilization is not based on point by point, its based on a range.  Perhaps you are in the same range.   You'd have to go through each of your reports line by line and determine where she is getting a benefit.  Maybe a your average age of accounts is slightly different.  Then all you need to know is how the precise formula works so you can see where the difference is.