Question

Posted in Auto Insurance

Olddutchman

Why is my score only 762? It seems to me it should be higher.
Except for my mortgage I am virtually debt free.

Most Helpful Response

Because being debt free is not an indication of good credit. Payment history of paying debts, however, is. It is best to carry some small amount of debt with a much larger amount of available credit.

Also, you need to be aware that there are many credit scoring companies each using a very different scoring model. 762 from one company may be the same as an 850 at another. If you are seeing a 762 from TransUnion the it is certainly because you are carrying no debt and/or have minimal debt.

Credit Karma is a FREE site that offers a lot of information and credit management tools on a virtual interactive site to help individuals improve their credit score.  There is no PANEL OF EXPERTS available, other than those of us who have actually experienced many of the things spoken of.  We are on a forum and each of us had the benefit of experience to offer advice.

Personally, I have an AAS in Accounting and a BS in Management, plus having been taught tax preparation.  But I have made mistakes, too, and learned from them.

What mdtaylorlrim said is very true because I tried very hard to be totally debt free and had a bad credit score.  The best score is shown by those who have a fair amount of AVAILABLE credit and have shown proper use of that credit.  If you had $10000 in available credit and regularly used up to $1000/month in credit which you paid in full when the statement came in, you would likely have a higher score, and that score will go higher if the credit accounts have been active for a long time.  The age of the available credit accounts is very important.  My score is not as high as I would like because my credit accounts are fairly new.  I paid cash for my car and my mobile home was owner carried, neither of which would show on a credit report.  So time and proper usage (I try to never carry a balance so I don't have to pay interest) will work on my side for an increased credit score.

Try using the Financial Tools on this site, such as the credit simulator, to find out what effect different actions might have on your credit score.  When I did, I discovered that consolidating the high interest cards I had would increase my score, so I did that (went through my credit union) and my score jumped.  It is a fun, painless way to make decisions without having to suffer the pain of "hard knocks" that often come from life experiences.

Hope this helps. 

This is Olddutchman.

I asked the question. I need an answer from your experts.