Question

Josie392

Why is my credit score low? (freshman in college)
I am a college freshman with about $2000 in student loans that I have not started to pay. I have 100% payment history, 0 derogatory marks, 3 total accounts, and 0 credit inquiries. There is no info available for neither age of credit history, nor credit card utilization. I do not have a credit card in my name.

Is this normal, or are there unforeseen factors that may be affecting it?

Thank you!!

Based on the info provided, it may simply be that you have very few accounts/tradelines to help build your credit profile. Obviously make sure you pay the student loans on time once the payments begin. To help build your score and credit profile, since you mentioned you do not have a credit card in your name, consider obtaining a secured card. This is an excellent way to start building your score. Make sure when you do that you do not exceed the recommended utilization on that card. Best of luck.

I Forgot

My credit score is about 560-565 depending on whether it is TransUnion or Equifax.

This is normal.  As a college freshman, you are at least 18.  That is the age here in the US when you are considered a legal adult who can enter into contracts, which is what credit accounts are.  It takes time to build a good credit score.  The student loans are part of it.  Please take the time  to iread the articles on credit here so you can get a good understanding of how credit works and how to build a good score.  It's great information that will benefit you for the rest of your life.  I learned more here than in my business classes.