Question

31240152

Why is my credit score getting worse when it should be getting better?
I had a really good credit score and I thought why not even make it better so I opened a best buy credit card and put my name on a car loan with my boyfriend and I finally started using my kay jewels credit card that I had unused for 2 years. Why is it drastically getting worse? I'm making bigger payments than the actual payments on all of them and making them on time!

Using credit won't necessarily make your credit better. When you mention using your credit card and making bigger than the minimum payments, this sounds like you are carrying a balance? So at this point you're using more of your credit line (credit utilization). Let's imagine that you're using $5000 out of $10000 in total credit across your cards. This is 50% utilization. You would want to avoid using more that 20-30% of your credit.

The best thing you could do is to completely pay off the balance on your credit card. Use it once in a while for small purchases, even just a dollar. Then pay it off completely before it is due.

Also, opening a new credit card also lowers your credit score initially since it makes a hard inquiry on your account. However, these dings don't last long and increase your cumulative credit which could be helpful in the long term.

Having more debt won't raise your credit score. Only managing it responsibly will.