Question

BBJOC

Why is my Credit Karma scores lower than my Experian report scores? I get all 3 reports.

Most Helpful Response

You get no score form Tansunion (or any other Credit Reporting Agency), lenders get no score from transunion, CK gets no score from transunion.  Transunion, is only a database of your credit history.  CK then takes that data and plugs it into Vantage to come up with a score.  Your car loan took that same data from Transunion and put it into a different one, maybe a FICO2 (or even one they made up themselves), and then Crdit Card took the same data from Transunion and maybe they put it into FICO8.

Tansunion may give you a score if you ask them when you pull a yearly report, but they might use FICO23 who knows. Lenders themselves do not get a score from Transunion though, just the data.

Each model will rate different factors higher.  A homelender wants to see very low credit card usage, and needs to see diversity. A credit card lender may actually like to see higher usage, but if you have any late payment it will kill you. These are only examples of how the score can vary.  I am about 20-30 points lower (than shown here in CK) for a car loan, and yet for a home loan I was 40-60 higher than what CK shows.  so this is about a 90 point difference between the two within a few months, with no major change in the score here at CK just a couple points drop due to the hard inquiry

Lower Credit Score

My credit score dropped 5 points within 5 days-don't understand.  I'm working on trying to improve it and I was very disappointed to see that.  Thank you.

Nomadre

Arabella, do not worry about a 5 point move one way or another as that is less than .05% of the 850 possible.  If you are making on time payments, not letting balances stay on credit cards, it will go up on average over time. Remember this is not a game of days, but of years.

First, different credit bureaus often have different information on you, so this can result in differences. Secondly, different credit scoring models are used. There are many different types of credit scores. You get Vantage scores here and the Experian site provides a version of FICO scores last time I checked. Always look to see what kind of credit score you are being provided.

Different Entities

The financial entities that monitor and steward your credit scores are separate from each other. They have their own algorithms and are reported to at different times and sometimes different loan companies altogether. I tend to average these 3 scores together in my mind and use that as "My Credit Score"

Because you're probably seeing different scoring systems. CK uses a vantagescore system and Experian (i'm assuming you mean Experians website) provides a fico system score. There are dozens of scoring systems.

BK

It's over ten years and my BK is still on my credit. I made a request to remove and no response