Question

mikez1968

Why is a past account not closed?
I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2009. At the time I had a Discover card that was included in the bankruptcy. It currently shows that the account is still open. It is actually worded Open-Derogatory. First, why was this account not closed if I can no longer use it? Second, is the current status of being open hurting my credit score?

You need to write letters to Discover and all three bureaus and tell them to correctly show the account as closed or to delete it.  If it shows a balance, then that is hurting you.  The open status affects your utilization, so that could be a problem as well.

mikez1968

As I mentioned is shows the account as open- Derogatory but it is mentioned in rmearks that it was included in Chapter 7 and it shows no balance. Is this status hurting my score because it still shows the status of being open-derogatory or should I still write Discover and the bureaus to have it changed to closed?