Question

nickigilb

Why haven't a few derogatory marks fallen off my credit when it's past 7 years?
I have had a derogatory mark on my credit for 8 years. It has also just recently posted again and just 3 months ago in August when really it was in 2005. What can I do to make them remove this. It's over 7 years. It was a relative that got an apartment in my name and then screwed me. Now it's a huge red flag on my credit and I can't move forward. There was never a judemnet just the collection. Any advice here? I fought it at first but finally gave up and have watched and waited to have it removed. It's the difference between me having good and very good credit. I'm a sitting duck at 698 and I can't even get a card with a limit over $1000 and I have excellent payment history. Major bummer! - Oct 28, 2013

698? and you are sitting duck.  That is good credit.  Miine is far worse and I have credit approvals way over $1,000 limit.  There must be something else going on.  I am interested in other opinions on this.

Dispute Yourself or Hire Some Help

Unfortunately this is about as common as speeding. A 3rd-party collector buys your old account and reposts it as though it's new. The old account holder makes some cash and the new collection agency is basically flying under the radar, re-reporting it and hoping you'll pay.

You can dispute negative items yourself with the bureaus:

https://www.ai.equifax.com/CreditInvestigation/home.action
http://www.transunion.com/personal-credit/credit-disputes/credit-disputes.page

http://www.experian.com/disputes/main.html

If you want some professional help:I'm a Senior Paralegal with Lexington Law Firm; we are the Trusted Leaders in Credit Repair. Old or New negative history is the single biggest factor that hurts your score. Last year over 3.3 MILLION negatives were removed from our clients reports

If you want a BETTER score and are SERIOUS about fixing your credit give me a call.

I'd love to talk to you!  Call Me:  1-800-641-2930  Extension 11395.    Ask for Robert Kinghorn    :)