Question

gina353

WHY DON'T YOU GIVE US THE CREDIT SCORE THE CREDITORS ACTUALLY SEE ?

You can purchase your FICO score at myfico.com.  Other than applying for a mortgage, that is the only way I know of obtaining a FICO score.  That's just the way FICO is, it isn't Credit Karma's fault.  It's all about money, my friend!

RedRiverD

Also keep in mind that there are 3 major credit companies nationwide, usually one east coast, one mid nation and one west coast. And usually they overlap boundaries. And all three of these companies have a file on you and they are all different numbers on your credit score. I do NOT know why this is, but that is the way it is.....

joenew7385

Barclay Card US gives you  your FICO score every month for free as long as you have a card with them .

Ruwiten7

It is mandated by Federal law that ANY consumer may obtain their official credit reports from the big 3 once per year. Every year I view online, & print, complete credit reports. They are NOT a ploy to get you to pay for monthly "credit monitoring" services of any type. It is completely free, and as I stated, you are entitled, by FEDERAL LAW, to a complete and free report from the big 3: TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian. All you need is enough paper to print out the report, or go to the FILE item in your browser's menu & choose "Save Page As". It provides you with much better insight then a single numerical score. You see EVERY pos, neg, or incorrect entry. More people need to utilize what they have the right to view.

twww.annualcreditreport.com

tucuncari

Discover Card provides your free updated FICO score if you have a credit card with them

mrswilson68758

Several credit card companies are now providing free FICO scores on your statement, or through online account access.

Anyone can get alll their scores and complete credit reports once a year at My Free Credit scores

Because that is not what this site is for.  Too many people misunderstand what it means to have good credit and how to attain it.  Credit Karma is  set up as an educational tool to help people learn how to build and maintain good credit.  You do not need all the credit scores in order to do what is necessary to improve your credit.  Please read the articles and utilize the financial tool here so you can accomplish this.

By the way,credit scores can change so what a creditor may see this month can be very different next month, depending on the circumstances. 

dveezy

I completely agree with jwsister. Credit Karma is used as a tool to help you understand how credit works and how different factors can effect your score, whether or not it's the one lenders look at, you will see what a difference positive and negative factors can make. 

Credit Karma does give you your TransUnion score. It's not THE score that banks look at, but most lenders will look at more than one score regardless. Nonetheless, let's say you open an auto loan for $17k, like I did. My Credit Karma score went from 585 to 613 after making just one payment. I pulled a credit monitoring service and looked at my other two scores and they had both gone up about 20 points as well. Even though Credit Karma doesn't give you the exact score Experian and Equifax have on record, you can still grasp the idea of where your scores stand based on what's provided. If you want all 3 scores, I recommend subscribing to myfico.com or somewhere similar where they provide all 3 reports and scores. Although, I will tell you Credit Karma has a lot more resources for educational purposes than any other competitor, and this is free.

thekru5

this still does not explain why this shows a score then the car dealer states and shows me its not what it posted here.

I agree it is close but not actual what they show credit companies or credit loan compannies.

alegator

This is some kind of a Joke! My credit score was 798 the last timre I checked and nothing has changed since then.

kjyyfyuf

some companies use transunion to look up your credit.  How did you get the thought that it isnt used??

MisguidedbyKarma

jwsister....how can you give an answer like that and expect to have any validity to it? You can't expect people to learn and understand their credit scores and how to manage them if they aren't actually being shown what their true credit score is. You have to be able to see exactly what is going on in order to track, monitor, and control your credit and score. Also, we know that credit scores change all the time, but when I pull mine through my bank, and they both update at the same time and Credit Karma is 40-50 points higher everytime it starts to become false advertising to coax people into trying for loans and getting their score affected for that. Credit and Scores shouldn't be taken lightly, nor should the score that they reflect to an individual that is trying to learn and protect themselves.

Most Helpful Response

Such a let down...

I've been tracking my progress on here for months and months, watching my score go up more and more and getting really excited. Hoping my family could finally get preparred to get a new home. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the 720 score this site shows me is actually 649. How is that even remotely to be considered "close" to my actual score?? 

I'm so disappointed... what a let down. Take "karma" out of your name guys.

Meatballman

I feel for you.  I am in the exact same situation.  Here I am a 719 and FICO 632.  I had some debt issues in the past and am rebuilding my credit perfectly now.   I was pretty frustrated that I couldn't get the same Discover Card deal my girlfriend got.  Her FICO was better.  

Anyways, Discvover gives you the FICO every month too.  And this site says TransUnion says my score is way higher than what Discover says TransUnion is sayin.  Pretty annoying.

Phillygemini

That's interesting.

Reading some of these answers made me look at my FICO score, which I get free for having a Walamart account, and it states mine is higher than what's listed on CK.

I am a new member, so I will keep looking out. 

um just saying...

I just got approved for a mortgage and am waiting to close. The loan officer ran my score and it was only 6 points lower than my Credit Karma score! Not bad huh? I'll keep using this site. What's important to me right now is that my score is improving. I have access to advice on how to raise my credit score and I've actually been following it. I also didn't expect immdediate results. It took over a year to really see it start moving. it's all been helpful. You just need time and patience! Thanks Credit Karma!!!!

Because

Real FICO scores are not attainable by consumers except Experian.  FICO scores are all that matter in the end.  The score you see here is purely informational...to give you a visual to go off of.  If your CK score goes up 10 points in a given time period you can safely assume your FICO score has gone up as well, maybe not 10 points, but up.

EddyTX

The advantage score always seems to be within a few points either way. When compare to my Discover  FICO. 

Each finacial conglomerate has their own formula for approval  But in the end, for larger lines of credit they check your FICO to complete a loan. 

tyrantfour

how can you "go off of" false information??? if they cant give correct information they should NOT give it, or at least put a disclaimer next the the score saying, " dude, dont trust us"

What is all of this?

I have read all of the replies above and not one answers the question. Why cannot CreditKarma give the actual credit score. It must be just as easy to give the real score as it is to create the one that is posted. I am trying to rebuild credit and I would like to know the actual score before I approach a car dealer or mortgage lender. I don't like surprises and that is what I get every time.

Another thing, I don't understand why I get a "C" on my negative reports when I have none. Shouldn't that be an A? Same thing with other ratings in the A,B,C system.

dclee911

It's possible to click on your transunion score. You will see SEE ARCHIEVE by your score, click on it. There will be a chart with dots indicating the dates, click on the dots. I think the second line of scores, labeled NEW ACCOUNT is the real score. Iv'e only noticed this with the transunion not equifax.

Credit Scores

I appreciate all the valuable information that Credit Karma offers for FREE.  Especially, knowing that the credit score I see can be lower than the credit score that a loan provider pulls up on that particular day, I am requsting a loan/credit card, or such.  The value of knowing that my utilzation of my credit limit each month will change my credit score has been immeserable. 

FICO score

The Discover IT card gives you your FICO score every month for free

Why FICO score is different!

FICO does NOT just give out your score with them all willy nilly. The reason why FICO score is different is because they have different guidelines as to what hurts your credit and how bad. Equifax may only assign a 3 point decreese for a hard inquiry whereas FICO would assign a 7-12 point decreese. Credit Karma does not have access to FICO, therfore they are not able to show that score. The only ways are those listed in previous posts or to contact them directly. Remember, FICO can not leagally withhold your credit score with them. This is the best answer i can give without working for FICO and being able you explain their policy why we cant see that score with Credit Karma.

debt is jammin...finally starting to pay

Hey guys, Here is what's up. My CK score just went down 5 pts. We are maxed on credit, but paying monthly. I am a disabled veteran, so I don't have the luxury of defining my income. My wife does well after 27 years at the same place, but we are still maxed out. We are getting a refi on everything. House, credit card consolidation, etc. Do you guys in the know think it hurts my score if I pay off my cards, then cancel the card? I have a faint memory of that not being the way to go....I kind of recall leaving the cards open, even if paid off for credit score reasons....what do you guys think?

Joshias02

You likely already have an answer but thought i'd respond just in case. 

The reason you wouldn't want to close the accounts is it would affect the age of your credit history.  For example I have a card that's eight years old that I never use except to keep it active.  It's my oldest card and increases my length of credit history.  Paying off the cards is a definite boon as represented by the point boost in my girlfriends score when I helped her with her outstanding balance.  If the cards don't have annual fee's and you don't have a lot of cards, they can be a good thing to keep your history long. 

Each new card or account is calculated into your average account age, which is something like 10% approximately of credit score, that's an approximation, credit karma education likely has a more accurate number.

patrickw424

I would not cancel any cards, especially if you've had them 5+ years. Creditors like to see that you've maintained debt over years. So the longest open accounts have a positive affect on your scores. However, credit utilisation for any credit card should be at least 30% of your credit limit, ie limit is $1000 X .30 = $300. In this example that would mean to keep $700 open to buy on the account. Do not worry if you use more than that. It is wise to set up your checking account on your credit card account so that you can make payments that way. Once paid off, just use the cards for gas, groceries, etc. to keep it active. I hope this helps!