Question

keithneedshelp

Why does paying off old collections drop your credit score and how without dropping your score?
i have collection accounts on my report. I want to pay them to raise my score but after paying off one acct I noticed my score dropped 6 pts

because if the account was old it wasnt effecting your score much and by paying it off you made the account recent again.. which make the credit scoring algorithm give it more weight.. so your score drops.. and will for awhile.  If you absolutly want to pay off an old debt you can ask the creditor to do a "pay for delete" which means they will remove it when you pay.  they are not supposed to so many will not but some will.

keithneedshelp

Thank you for you help.  if you have any other advice to improve my score it would be much appreciated.  If i look at my score on my transunion.com account it shows my score as 595.  If i look at my credit karma account it shows my transunion score as 538.  not sure why this is that way.  I want to raise my score 100+ points as soon as possible.  I have three old debts totaling $1400.  should I pay them off or leave them alone?