Question

chitchat56

Why does my credit score not reflect my credit report card?
My grades shown my in credit report are excellent, and yet I only have a "fair" credit score. The grades are in fact better than boyfriend's, and his overall credit score is better than mine!

How do I understand this discrepancy and who should I contact to resolve this issue?

Hi chitchat56,

I think I can clear up some confusion on this topic. Your credit score is calculated by the credit bureau that maintains your credit report, TransUnion.

The Credit Report Card is a comparison tool developed by Credit Karma to help you understand key components of your credit score. Members who have "A" grades in all areas *tend* to have higher scores. Higher grades tend to correlate to higher credit scores, but not always. While there are a handful of components listed in the Credit Report Card, there are more than 200 factors that go into calculating your credit score. If you have a grade of "D" or "F" in any area, improving that part of your report may help your score. 

Thanks for your response. Even still, the discrepency between my report card and my score has me anxious. Since Credit Karma's report card is not providing me with much insight,  I'm wondering what my next step is... That is, how do I better understand what's contributing to my credit score/affecting it so negatively? Or better yet, who do I contact to find out this information? All of the advice I've gathered from the internet is impersonal and vague. I would really appreciate further guidance. Thanks!