Question

Boog1950

WHY does it show I have 18 Accounts, when ONLY 4 are open?.Makes ZERO SENSE
Does anyone EVER answer their(Members) questions at Credit Karma?.

If they were your accounts they will show on your credit report for 7 years past the date they were closed.  The previous 7 years credit usage is what new creditors will be looking at.\

If these are NOT your accounts, then get copies of all three credit reports (go to annualcreditreport.com) and get copies of all three credit reports.  Look them over thoroughly and file disputes on all WRONG information in writing with the credit bureau reporting same. They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed items.  Make this credit report check-up once a year, every year so you can be certain only correct information is being reported.

I strongly suggest reading the articles on this site (look on the left side of this page) because the purpose of Credit Karma is to teach people how credit works and how to use it properly.  I've learned a lot and I was trained in accounting.

Hi Boog,

I frequently answer questions in this space. 

Your "total accounts" includes both open and closed accounts. Accounts that you've closed are still a factor in your credit history.

Let me know if you have further quesitons.