Question

asdfkjljljsalfd12saZ

Why does having more credit cards give a better credit score?
I have only two active credit cards which I pay off every month. But my grade on the number of cards is F. In order to get a better grade it says I need to have more active cards - perhaps as many as 21 cards. But other places say opening more credit card accounts will make your score go down - at least in the short term. It looks like this is a no win situation.

Most Helpful Response

You dont need 21+ accounts

That is just a result of a survey showing that ppl with the best credit have that much credit history. I have 17 total, but half of them are either closed accounts or paid off loans that stay on the report for years after. Dont worry about the grade. As you go through life buying a car and getting more credit cards (you dont need 15 cards or anything), you amount of accounts will rise. You can have good credit with not a lot of accounts.

Actually I have a pretty good score (771) but the point is the site seems to say I would have a BETTER score if I had MORE credit card accounts.  You say I will have more accounts as I go through life.  How long does that take?  I am 62 and so far the only two active accounts I have are the two credit card accounts.  I have bought several new and used cars, but I always saved up and paid cash so I never had a car loan.  I think saving up for things you want is always a better financial plan than buying things on credit.  Yet these credit companies seem to tell people that it is better to use lots of credit than to pay cash.

Think Credit Score is foolish way!

WHY should a person HAVE to have so many credit cards to have a good rating? That's why people are in debt up to their eyeballs! It's way too easy to 'use the plastic' rather than paying cash. As Dave Ramsey says, "Cash is king!"

Site says BETTER score with 21+ accounts