Question

FALCNow

Why does CreditKarma say my Equifax score is 30 points higher than Equifax tells me it is?
CreditKarma says my Equifax score is 744. Equifax themselves tell me that it's actually 713 on their scale. Why such a big difference?

Most Helpful Response

The confusion of credit scores, unfortunately are from the different scoring model it's based on. Yes, your scores are based on informations in your credit report with each credit bureaus, however, there are 100s scoring models out there. The question here is which scoring model was the score you got from Equifax? They also have their own scoring models that has very little if any, real world relevance because creditors aren't using it for their credit decisions (hopefully you didn't pay for it) much like the scores you get here, which is based on VantageScore 3 model, not many lenders use it. Vast majority of lenders today, still uses FICO score models for their lending decisions, but FICO itself, have 58 different versions, the new one came out two years ago the FICO 9? still hasn't been widely adopted by lenders yet and many more are available for lenders only... Bottom line, when comes to "credit scores"? Always find out exactly which scoring model it's based on, the saying of "comparing Apples to Oranges" can not be anymore spot on than "credit scores".

FALCNow

I think I see now. CreditKarma says my score with an agency is different than what that agency rates it because CreditKarma takes the score that they rate me at and changes it based on a totally different calculation model? I guess the next question is why not just relay to us the actual numbers the agencies themselves use?

JohnnyRain127

Short answer is "money". Credit scores are big business, why would they give them out for free while they can charge you money for them. Credit Karma really just an middle man, they don't do more than copy n paste whatever they get from credit bureaus, they can't edit, update, add or remove anything from your report, the credit scores they provide are from credit bureaus usingVantageScore 3 and up until Feb 2015 it was using VantageScore 2. It's free most likely the VantageScore want to gain some feet print in credit score world in hoping more lenders would adopt it (pay for it), Credit Karm is more or less an advertisement for VantageScore.

-

There way too many credit scores out there to provid them all, the agencies you referring to, the credit bureaus? Their own scores (score plus, new account score, national equivalency scores... ) might not be the one the lender/creditor uses, that's why I said their scores aren't really relevant, the relevant one is the one any particular lender use, however, not only different lenders may use different scoring models, even the same lender may wish to use different model for different credit products they offer. I applied for US Bank's credit card last week and I got a "truth in lending" letter yesterday, it stated that they used TU FICO Classic 04 it only goes up to 839 instead of 850. My TU FICO 8 is 713 around that time but the TU FICO 04 in the letter is 720, so even when its from same FICO and same bureau? Your scores will be different depends on the precise model its used. 

The Equifax score here is based on the VantageScore 3.0 scoring system.

The Equifax score you got from Equifax is based on a Fico scoring system.

Same bureau but different scoring systems will use different strengths/weaknesses/trends to formulate your score. The articles here will dig deeper into this subject....namely FICO vc FAKO.

So ...

So ... Are you saying that Credit Karma does not report the same Equifax score given from Equifax???

undefined

If you had read the articles and other information on this site (which is here to TEACH how credit works and how to build a good score) you would know that it is simply a difference in how the score is calculated.

FALCNow

I understand that different agencies calculate their scores differently. Why does this site say that my score for a specific agency is higher than what that specific agency says that it is? To put it in a way that may be clearer, CreditKarma tells me, "Equifax says your score is 744" but Equifax themselves say, "Actually, your score with us is 713."

Why does CreditKarma report an agency's score as so much different than the agency itself reports its score? (TransUnion says my score with them is actually 12 points lower than CreditKarma claims my TransUnion score is, too, by the way.)