Question

handtomouth

Why does applying for credit lower your credit score
I wanted to apply for one of the credit cards offered by Credit Karma. I was warned against it because it lower my credit score if I applied. Why is that?

Most Helpful Response

It makes you look needy.  Creditors want folks that don't necessarily NEED credit, but will USE credit wisely.  If you do a lot of shopping for credit, it appears you are having trouble managing your finances.  Not always accurate, but that's the way it is.

The hard inquiry would lower your credit score by a few points. In time though, your credit score would rise if you put the card to good use while using it responsibly.

Thanks tg191688.  That was very helpful.  I am content with the standing my credit is now.  I was just a little leary of transferring balances to another credit card and maybe damaging my good credit.