Question

CreditGuy334

Why does a closed/derogatory account count towards my credit utilization?
I have a 6 year old derogatory credit card account (the last payment was made 6 years ago). It shows up as "closed/derogatory" on transunion, and "open/derogatory" on experian. The account is well past SOL for my state. The problem is that the balance reported on this account is killing my credit utilization rate, even though this account is closed.

I just opened a secured credit card to increase my total credit available, but this old/closed balance is still eating up most of my "available" credit.

Is there anything I can do to remove this balance from my overall credit utilization report?

Most Helpful Response

derogatory credit

Your bad debt as your good debts follow you for 7 years. That is unless you file bankrupt it stays with you for 10 years I believe. Once it drops your credit will increase just make sure you make a payments on time. Pay at least a week ahead if you can and save up to three months worth of debt owed. This way if you run into any bad luck you will be covered for that length of time. I HOPE THIS HELPS, I've been there and stiil trying to build a higher credit score from CreditKarma my transunion is 707 and equifax is 607. But equifaxs showing more hard hits against me and isn't show a morgage which I had or a car loan. But not every lender reports to all credit agencies.

This will drop off at the 7 year mark (from the date it was closed) but cannot be removed before then.  This is what happens when a bill is not paid in a timely fashion, so you just have to live with the results of your errors.