Question

Dale55

Why do my wife & myself owe $3,146 for unpaid rent? If we both pay, we will pay double the debt.
We were evicted in 2010 and owe $3,146.00 in rent from the balance of the lease agreement. Why is this amount showing up on both of our credit reports? If we both pay it off, the total will be over $6,000.00. How can I get that amount removed from my wife's credit report and I take the responsibility?

Most Helpful Response

Likely, you both signed the rental agreement, right?  So it will show on both credit reports since you both had the joint obligation to pay the rent.  Only that owed balance ($3146) needs to be repaid.  And the negative will be reported on your credit report for the next 7 years for both of you unless you can negotiate a "pay for delete" agreement with the leasing company.  You will have to do this in writing and keep copies of all communications for your records.

How to do this is well explained in the articles on this site.  Credit Karma is all about teaching people how to build and maintain a good credit score.

Dale55

Thank you so much for your response. I was concerned that it would not reflect on her credit report if I paid it off.

We now have the cash to pay off everything, but want to negotiate a "pay for delete" agreement like you suggested with each company.

Thanks again for your great advise.