Question

DrChery

why do i have to stay below 30% ?
i just got my first credit card and i did do my research on how to build on getting a good credit score, but a lot of my resources says that i should stay below 30% of my credit credit limit but never explained why,i thought it would be good for my score if i use 50% of my credit limit and pay it the next month. Why stay below 30% ?

Hi DrChery,

That's a good question. 30% isn't a strict rule - but lenders like to see that you can use your credit moderately and responsibly. 30% is a good rule of thumb, higher rates may concern lenders as it could indicate you are relying heavily on credit to make ends meet. We've written an article on this topic that you can read here: https://www.creditkarma.com/article/credit-card-utilization.