Question

EversDad

Why do I have so much Medical Debt when I have Medicare? How can I get these paid off? HELP PLZ
I was in and out of the hospital with an enlarged kidney that was supposed to be repaired through surgery, at the time I had no insurance but in the process of obtaining Medicare. Is there anyway that these charges can be taken care of by Medicare or am I stuck having to pay all this money. Are there any other options? How long will they hurt my credit for, I'm trying to better my life but this is really making it hard. Thank you for help.

Since your Medicare didn't kick in until after your surgery, I think you are out of luck.  Any unpaid bills remain on your credit report for 7 years from date incurred (assuming you never made a payment).  If you pay them they remain (as paid accounts) for 7 years from date you pay them UNLESS you negotiate a "Pay Per Delete" agreement in writing with the collectors.  They agree to remove the accounts from your report once paid.  For more options, visit www.credit.about.com and click on Pay Off Debt tab.  Best of luck!