Question

09patricia

why do I have so many medical bills in collection when my insurance should be covering the bills

copays

You should be getting statements from your health care providers  with billing details, including what portion the insurance company paid and what portion is your responsibility. Unless you are on Medicaid, you are almost certainly responsible for some of it. The copay you pay at the time of your visit does not cover everything. 
For example, my son went to the ER a few months ago. My insurance copay for the ER visit was $125, paid that same day. Some time later I got a bill from the hospital for an additional $632 (the insurance paid a couple thousand). Then I received yet another bill for a little over $200 from the ER doctor who saw him (and again, the insurance paid most of his fee). So yes, your insurance pays a lot, but you still have to cough up some of the dough in most cases.