Question

dmoney127

Why do I have a derogatory mark if a debt collector has never once contacted me about a debt?
A collection agency filed an open collection in July, 2014 for a $33 debt owed to my hospital. I have never once been contacted about this debt, but I have a derogatory mark because of this open collection account on my credit report. I have disputed the debt with the credit agency thinking it was an error, but was told it was filed properly. If they have never contacted me, is it legal to have this on my report?

The best thing that you could do in this situation is to contact the hospital that you originally owed the money to and ask them to pull the collection account back in exchange for your payment. If they will not, then contact the collection company listing the debt and ask them for a "pay for delete" meaning that you get them to agree to completely remove the account from your reports in exchange for your payment. Try that first.

Contact Collector

Can I have my debt collector contact information?