Question

Posted in Taxes

tj586121

Why do federal tax refunds differ depending on the software (HR Block v Turbo Tax)?ax
I've simply just added my W-2 (married filed jointly, one child dependent) with a few online tax softwares, but have seen significant differences (in the $1000s) between HR Block/Tax Slayer and Turbo Tax. I'd like to hope that HR Block is correct with the higher refund (aligned with Tax Slayer who also noted the bigger refund), but I don't want to be caught owing more than expected.

Is it best to just go with getting a lower refund from Turbo Tax? And if a bigger refund is owed to me, the IRS will apply that?

Compare each return line by line. There must be some differenes with that drastic of amounts.