Question

greenmw

Why didn't my score go up?
Hi, I am trying to raise my credit score after having a divorce about 5 years ago messed it up. Anyway I had payed off some accounts and closed other ones during the divorce, I just recently closed an account that had some missed payments and my score went down, which was weird? All 3 of my high impact categories are "excellent" now but my scores are still under 700? The age of my accounts are "poor" because I closed some older accounts but that impact says it is medium, why are my scores still so low when my top 3 high impact categories are excellent, it just doesn't seem like it has updated correctly? Can you please look at my account and tell me how all the different categories weigh in to create the scores? I would think I would be a lot higher than what I currently am with how my account currently looks? Thanks and I am eager to hear what you can tell me ... Mike

One reason your score may have gone down is because you closed an account. Whenever you close an account, it decreases the amount of accounts you have and could make your utilization go up (particularly if the account you closed was a credit card). Also, once you close or pay off an account, sometimes it can take a while for the company to report anything to the credit bureaus, and that affects when Credit Karma can get the information from the bureaus. If you haven't already, I would suggest pulling your credit report (I believe all three bureaus have to give you one free every year), just to make sure that the information they have is accurate. If it's not, it might be a good idea to work on getting them the correct information. Even something that seems small (like an incorrect address or employer name) can affect your credit score and what you're eligible for in the future. I'm not sure what system Credit Karma goes by for their "high impact" track; someone who works here would probably be better equipped to tell you that. Hope this helps!