Question

ccrossman

Why did my score plummet with no changes on my credit account
I was shocked when I saw my credit report this week. It went down 42 points. I looked at everything with a fine tooth comb and the only thing that changed was my credit card utilization went down from 55% to 52% which should raise my score. This is the third time I've seen this happen at credit karma. The last two times my score recovered the very next month. I am curious why this is happening here. Is there some sort of glitch?

Most Helpful Response

micesco

The same thing happened to me!  Mine went from 802 to 778 and the only thing that changed was I paid off a car loan and lowered my credit card debt by 1000.00 since the following week.  I thought it was a glitch but it still hasn't changed three weeks later.  The only thing I can think of is I no longer have any installment loans.  Paid off both cars this year.  But, that is suppose to help I thought!  You try to get out of debt and your score goes down.  That just tells me they want their interest charges more than they want you to be debt free (the government is driving this one). Just isn't right!

simotyme

Enter Your Reply       Because you don't have any open active trade lines in the installment loan department

you will see a slip in your scores.  that is just how the algorthyms work in the FICO scoring model.  Depending

on what your over all credit utilization is the $1000 may or may not help it yet.   Keep credit card utilization

under 20% of all credit you have available to maximize your score.

credit karma score is wrong, it is 20-50 points off from transunions,exquifax, and experian. credit karma said my score is 689 but experian said 652 trans, and exquifax said 649 and they all have the some imfo. can someone tell me why???

ThatGuyLeroy

Are all the dates of the inquiries the same?

(CK may be looking at a report from a month ago etc)

?

Average Age of Credit

They have started a new calculation of average age of credit.  It no longer based on how long you have had credit, it is now based on the average age of each account.  So to give an example, I was at 700 about 5 months ago.  Since then I have consolidated my student loans, opened two credit cards with USAA, refinanced to a lower interest rate on my car, and bought a home.  They now calculate my average age of credit to be 1.5 years.  I had a bankruptcy 7 years ago and finally opened a rebuilding account about 4 years ago.  Ouch but the good thing is I have started on the USAA debt repayment plan and will be out of debt completely in a little less than 15 years.  Then credit score will not matter at all.  Oh and after all that my score went from 700 to 570.  Nice.  

Ms.

Melissa Blosser

My Score dropped 42pts on Credit Karma

My score this week dropped 42pts this week. Very odd

Credit Karma is not to blame.  They do not determine your credit score.  There might be a few things.  Perhaps you have not had recent activity on a couple of your accounts.  No activity is not good.  Miseco's score probably dropped because they increased their credit utilization by bringing one of their cards to $0 balance.  Some cards to do report if you do not have a balance so it looks like you have less credit.  I know my Amazone card is like that.  If it's paid-in-full, I loss $2k worth of credit on my report and it's reflected in my score. Unfortunately it's not a glitch. Perhaps the credit companys are using a new algorithm to create credit scores but my score, as reported by Credit Karma, has always been accurate.  Note:  you can only get your score once a week.  It may have changed but you won't know why until your 7 days are up!

gzowner

My drop 20 points this month and nothing changed on my report. each time i make  a car payment my score goes up one month and next month goes down. I did recently pay off a old debt as i am working on my credit. Just sad they will drop your credit score faster than you can say WTF, but takes them forever to raise it back up. The credit system is so rigged its stupid and they love it when we are in debt. You would think they want to see paid close accounts vs open accounts with huge debt.