Question

CreditKarmaUser45

Why did my score decrease after my credit utilization changed from good to excellent?
The only factor that has changed is my credit utilization. (which is a positive change) yet my score went down after paying off a credit card. I was expecting an increase. What would have caused this?

Most Helpful Response

Is the card still active?

You stated you paid the card off.

Did you close the account also? if so, the average age of your accounts could have decreased and affected your score.

If this is not the case, you need to check all of your credit factors to identify the cause.

Also, try checking your credit factors using other free resources, such as CreditWise from Cap One (not sure if you need to have an account) , or Discover.com (no account needed here).