Question

Saltytacotampa

Why did my equifax score go down?
So on may I finished paying off my car. I was excited to think that my credit score would go up since I never missed a payment. I always gave more than the amount needed and half of the time I paid in advanced. Today I checked my score(it had been updated on June 4 exactly when my car debt was cleared. ) and it went down 8 points with equifax but trasunion stayed the same with 618! I am really frustrated because I'm trying hard to improve my scare. Since I finished paying my car off I no longer have loans. However I am a cosigner for my brother's car and I do have a credit card... FOR a store, pacsun. Other than that I have nothing. Can someone please explain why it might have gone down instead of up and how to fix it and improve my score. Please help.

Paying off your loan meant you lost a line of credit, which ups your utilization and lowers the average age of accounts. Both of these lower a score. Some people misguidedly use this as an excuse to take longer to pay off their loans but, obviously, this isn't a smart idea as it means you pay more interest. A single card means you have a very thin file, and store cards usually have low limits. This means that even making small purchases on them results in high utilization.