Question

veekay0108

Why did my credit score suddenly come down from 748 to 693 in a single month?
Why did my credit score suddenly come down from 748 to 693 in a single month? There were no hard or inquiries on my account, neither did I miss any payments. The only reason I can think of is high credit card utilization since I was traveling. But will that have such a big impact?

Most Helpful Response

It will!!

There are many things that can change your credit score, and high utilization is one of them.  You can discover more so you can try avoiding them by reading the articles on this site, since Credit Karma is set up to provide education on credit.

My advice is to get the credit cards paid in full as quickly as possibe and you will see that credit score go back up.

veekay0108

Thank you for your response. I do understand that my credit score will go down if my credit utilization is higher. The only shocking thing is the huge number of points it took down from my score. It had taken me a while to reach 748 and coming down to 693 in one month was kind of a big blow to me. I do pay my credit cards in full every month. I also strive to keep my credit utilization below 20%, it was just this one month where my credit utilization went to 36% because of my travels. I am still trying to digest this fact that it can take off so many points off your credit report just for a high credit utilization for one month, because everything else in my report is good.