Question

GracefulShopper

Why did my credit score go down right after my statement came in with a zero balance?
I payed off one of my credit cards a few days before the end of the billing period so my statement came with a zero balance.

At the same time, my score dropped 20 points.

My question is: Why did it drop?

Most Helpful Response

Because you paid BEFORE closing date!!

When you pay before the closing date, there would be nothing on the account to show the card was USED, and usage counts on a credit score.  Pay the balance shown when the statement comes in, and not a cent more.  You won't end up with interest charges and you'll show an excellent payment history.

Try this and see what happens, okay?