Question

bm530c

Why did my credit score go down for not using my credit card?
I have only used 13 % of my available credit on my card and paid it off in full every month. Last month I had no balance or activity on the card and I lost 32 points on my credit score. Why? I haven't applied for anything and only have that one card.

What does the rest of your credit history look like?

Remember, credit scores are in some ways a game. You're assessed on the amount of debt you have but also how you use the credit available to you. So while in theory it's great to live credit free, if you want to have a decent FICO, you need to use it regularly. It sounds like that's what you're doing, so I'd just keep it up. Use the card for groceries and use the cash you budget for groceries to pay for it every month.

Credit reporting also seems to be kind of delayed sometimes and what's reported on CK isn't always (actually almost never) accurate.

Do you keep a record of all the charges you made during the month then, when the bill comes in, you pay ALL those charges though the bill shows less?  That is, actually, the wrong move.  Just pay the bill in full each month (Total Amount Due), but not a cent more.  You won't be paying interest on the other charges because they were made after the closing date (the date the cc company "closes the books" and mails out bills) and will show up on the next billling.

Paying more than what is shown as due actually hurts your score by not showing the proper usage ratio.  Crazy, but true.