Question

chaztity

why did my credit score go down by nine points when nothing changed
Nothing has changed except I paid down my credit card to 29% utilization. On credit karma, my credit card information has not been updated and on discover I only went up 1 whole point after going from a 48% percent utilization to a 29%. I am trying my best to repair my credit, but it appears as though something is not right. Can someone help

Firstly it could be a month or more before you see a change in CC usage. The Cards only report once a month, and then CK has to see the change, so with these two factors it can take over a month once payment has been made for CK to adjust (unless you link the accounts).

With the scoring system CK uses, the score should give you a boost once it reflects the drop to 29%, becarefull it is not over even my a few decimials 29.5 is 30.

There is a lot to a credit score and even getting it to the 29% may not help with other factors.  Did you open a new card to get the percentage down? If so hard credit inquiries and average age of credit dropped and could wipe any gains you have. Did anything get hit with a late payment remark? If so any gain in credit usage will be wiped out.

Basically if none of these things happened then your score will improve. Keep the usage down (better to be less than 9%), stay current on everything, and in time your score will go up.  This is not something that happens overnight. Building good credit can take a lifetime, building bad only takes one day.