Question

tryingtorebuildcredit

why did my credit score go down after a collection was removed?
I recently had an old collection on my credit report deleted and one hard inquiry added. Before this my score was 663, after the deletion and hard inquiry it went down to 643. The following day a second hard inquiry was added to the report and my score went up to 644. I am very confused... I thought that removing the collection (@$2500) would have had a positive affect on my score. I have one car loan with no late payments (loan originated Oct 12'), other than that I have no other credit. CK shows that I had very good chance of being approved from multiple credit cards (as I'm trying to build my credit) but I have been declined once again. The only negative on my report is the lack of CC, length of account being opened for car loan, and hard inquiries (which I am under the understanding accounts for only a small portion of the overall score). What am I missing here?

Most Helpful Response

same happened to me

I had a huge collection taken off my report by paying it and the next time i checked credit karma my score dropped 50 points after the collection removal, this make no sense at all when you would think the score would go up that much not down..should have just left it on there if in fact the score was going to drop that much.

Same Here can anyone explain

I had two collection account deleted and my score when down I thought it would go up. Does not make any sense to me 

Credit Score Goes Down, Down, Down

Ditto. I have spent the past year cleaning up my credit after my divorce through many things into flux. One would think taking the negative off of your report would "clean" it up. Not so. My score with Equifax and Transunion both dropped over 66 points after removing the last negative account and having myself removed from a family member's credit card where the balance was very high. Everything on my account is now positive, a few older closed accounts all positively paid, and still a MASSIVE drop in the credit score. These **** things are so arbitraty. It's absolute extortion how these numbers are manipulated and never match from one company to the next, and control so much of our financial lives. It's honeslty not even worth the effort. My score is overall 75 points below where it was with the negative on there. Nothing but bull. 

Same thing happened to me. Score went down nearly 20 points after two collections items were removed. Both were old bills that were in dispute (closed accounts around $150 where final payment wasn't credited properly). Since they were bills, neither were revolving credit, nor had either reported any positive payment history, nor were either the oldest items on my report. 

So there's no logical reason it should have affected my credit score. In fact, Vantage Score went up, but the Transunion score is the one that went down. 

Wow

My score drop 30 points. After a collection fell off why I'm so **** I'm working to hard on my credit for this I have to start all over again wow

Same here.

Same here. After this last score updating on Jan 2 I noticed 3 collection accounts had been removed , but my score was down by 8 points. I didn't have any hard inquiries nor did 

I have any new collection accounts, what gives?

Feeling ****

Why me score drop 30 point after I paid all my collection off it make no sense to pay them it's like I'm starting all back over again trying to rebuild my credit. I want to give up and do what I been doing living

same here.

4 negative items were removed and my score went down. 2 credicredit cards with low balances and no llate payments. What the hell.

whats the deal??

I actually have Lexington on my payroll...they got 3 accounts removed within the last week and my score dropped 58 points! Wtf is the point of fixing your credit if obstacles like these are presented??

bad credit removed

Same thing happened to me a attorney removed 3 bankruptcies and 3 collections and my score went down 70 points. In the meantime I paid off all my credit cards and the score went down. I don't understand.