Question

MTUJeeper

Why did my credit score drop 70 points when loan came out of default?
I had defaulted on my direct student loans through the government. These were the last outstanding negative accounts I had on my credit report. I established a payment plan with the collector where after 3 monthly payments it was considered out of default and I could refinance to bring it current. After the 3rd payment my equifax score dropped from 625 to 555 (70 points) while my Transunion stayed the same. Does anyone know why this could have happened or what I can do to fix it? I've been working really hard to dig myself out of the hole I put myself in so I can buy a house next year, this was the last negative I had and here it sets me back while trying to do good. Thank you all so much!

Most Helpful Response

Are these fico scores or credit karma scores?  I would check your fico scores.  My credit karma scores are not close to my fico socres.  It is your fico scores that most creditors use so those are the one that you want to pay attention to.

That would be my credit karma score...I haven't been able to bring myself to spend 30 bucks a month to monitor my fico score until I get my credit karma score closer to where I want it to be.