Question

babieblues

why did my credit score drop 14 points??
I am frustrated with my credit score. It was 658 in August, and then it dropped way down to 622 in September, because I closed an old credit card. This shouldn't have meant that the credit history became erased, but it did. So, I had to contact all the bureau's and they had to correct it. This unfortunately only brought my score up to 632.

Now, my score has dropped again, by FOURTEEN points!! 14!! I am paying EVERYTHING on time, nothing is in collections, I even paid off half of my credit card because I gained a little extra money. And now it looks as though I am being punished for paying off my credit card halfway (it is not only at 47% utilized vs 97%).

What gives?? Nothing else is showing up!

When you closed the card, it probably impacted your total accounts and you utilization. 47% is high utilization. On the rare occasion I can't pay mine off each month, I try to keep it under 20%. Under 30% shouldn't hurt you. If you had kept that other account open and just stopped usingit, your utilization would be lower.