Question

crystallk87

Why did I lose 11 points for this?
My only recent change is this:

This DSNB MACYS account was reporting a balance of $0 as of Feb 12, 2014, indicating it is not in use. This account is now reporting a balance of $295. We recommend you verify that the charges on this account are legitimate.

I thought it was good for my credit score to use all my credit cards whenever possible. Are they thinking I'm a fraud victim, because I haven't used my Macy's card in a few months? That's ridiculous. Additionally, the $295 is a small percentage of my total credit line.

Also, it seems that my recommendations are inaccurate. I pay off my credit card balances each month, so no, I cannot save $600 by transferring balances. I refinanced a couple of my student loans with a company recommended by this site a few months ago. Credit Karma is showing my average interest rate is 13% when in reality it's more like 5%.

Most Helpful Response

First, don't pay any attention to the recommendations they give here.  Those are just ads they take to pay for the website (which keeps it free for us).  Second, I would definitely contact Macy's and find out what is going on with that card.  File a fraud claim if needed; provide that info to all three bureaus so they will delete the account.  Credit Karma gets their info every Friday from TransUnion.  Just an FYI on that.  Also, nobody at Credit Karma reads these things, so if you have specific issue with CK, you'll need to email them directly - support@creditkarma.com.   This website is pretty much just to monitor your overall credit health and learn more about credit and credit scores.  Hope this helps!

The $295 is a legitimate charge. When I said I hadn't used my card in a few months, I meant that I hadn't used it in a few months prior to the $295 purchase. Apparently, when people have store cards, they're expected to use them monthly or they'll lose points for suspected fraud when they do use them. Basically, my credit score has been lowered, because I have not been an avid consumerist and have used the card too infrequently. Moral of the story: don't open a store card unless you shop at the store monthly.

I understand the recommendations are ads. When I first created an account on this site, the recommendations were pretty accurate as far as the potential savings and the rate they show as my current interest rate for my student loans and my current monthly payment (I don't think they just make this up). It just seems like they haven't been updated once I paid down my balances and consolidated loans to obtain a better interest rate.