Question

beautifuldisaster8190

why did getting a credit card make my score go down when paid it off early then canceled it?
I got a credit card and bought a few things. I paid the bill early and then canceled the card. Why did it make my credit score go down 21 points? How can I get my score to go back up?I'm worried if I get another card that it will make my score go down again.

Most Helpful Response

Call back the credit card issuer and ask that they reinstate the card for you so your credit & payment history will come back.  Use the card once a year for something small, pay it off, but keep it open.  Payment history counts for 35% of your credit score, Credit history counts for 15% of your score.

You cancelled the card!!!

The amount of credit you have available and how you use it determines your credit score.  I suggest you take advantage of the education that this site offers.  Read the articles and use the financial tools available to learn how to build your credit score and maintain it.  Credit Karma's purpose is to teach people about credit so they can benefit from having good credit.