Question

Gemini2205

Why did CK give me bad advice?
Upon discovering Credit Karma and reading all the positive blogs from happy customers I took CK advice of applying for a Capital One Secured Mastercard to help build my credit.
According to CK my approval odds were 'very good'. My CK score is 637 and the the average score to be approved for this card was 514-574.

Once I applied I received a 'hard hit' against my credit report and my score went down by 3 pts, I didn't really mind as I felt sure I would be approved for the card and I'd soon be on my way to improving my credit score.

But to my disappointment I received a letter from Capital One today thanking me for applying but unfortunately they cannot approve my request. They said my Trans Union credit score is 552 and I don't qualify. But Credit Karma says my credit score is 637!

And even if I go with the 552 TU score I am still within the approval range of 514-574 .... ?

I'm just really frustrated that I fell for this offer, it did nothing for me except to bring my credit score further down in the wrong direction!!

Frustrated!

Most Helpful Response

How about reading the articles on credit provided here.  Credit Karma is not a credit bureau but a site that provides valuable information and interactive financial tools so an individual can LEARN how to build a good credit score---and maintain it.  I can't tell you  how many offers I have received that were "pre-approved" but I was turned down.  There are so many different unknown factors that go into granting credit, including the likelihood that they checked your other credit reports, too.  I couldn't get a card with a score in the 600s.  Any negatives on your credit report are going to make getting credit difficult to impossible.

Use the information on this site to build up your score as much as possible before trying for another credit card.  Education on credit is what Credit Karma is all about.

Gemini2205

That's exactly what I did, I spent a whole evening reading all the articles on here and decided to go with applying for the 'secured' credit card that was recommended.
I was just disappointed that my credit score was not the 637 that I thought it was, it was only 552 so I guess I have a long road ahead of me.

Thanks for your reply :)