Question

bonnesante

Why did Citi do a product change to my Platinum Select credit card without asking me?
I logged into my Citibank bank account online and saw that they changed my Platinum Select MC to a Diamond Preferred MC without my permission. I already called and they said the account numbers wouldn't change so it is not like I am closing an old CC and opening a new one. My question is why? Why would they do that?

I've done research online and I am reading that companies are sometimes refusing to do product changes when asked by customers, while others have had the same experience I'm having. Some are calling it an upgrade and others are saying CC companies are downgrading customers due to low activity. When I asked, they said they are phasing out their Platinum Select, which may be true, since I don't see it on their corporate website anymore. My only hope is that it is reported on my credit report with the original start date, since it's my oldest open trade line.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Most Helpful Response

Per Citi backs website with all the credit card agreements,
    https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/cma.do

All have a statement like the following

"Changes to this Agreement - We may change the rates, fees, and terms of this Agreement from time to time as permitted by law. The changes may add, replace, or remove provisions of this Agreement. We will give you advance written notice of the changes and a right to opt out to the extent required by law."