Question

hjewellj

Why did buying a car lower my credit score?
I bought a car the day after Christmas, and paid of my old car in full during the process. There have been a few new inquiries into my credit, which is the reason I believe it dropped so much. But I was of the understanding that you could shop for the best deal as long as you made the inquiries within a short time; in my case it was only over 2-3 days. Is there anyway to remedy this situation?

If the inquiries were properly coded they will count as one for scoring purposes but they will show up separately on your reports.

As for your score, when you add a new account you reduce your AAoA and incur a hard pull.  For a new auto loan you have a high balance to loan amount which is a negative as well.