Question

npcl

Why did a hard inquiry from CAP One that resulted in approved credit card reduce my score by 19 pts?
Originally I had 4 hard inquiries. I applied for a pre-qualified credit card that CAP One mailed to me. They made a hard inquiry, making a total of 5. My application was approved. I will get my card in 2 weeks. I am shocked that my credit score went down by 19 points. Should it not have gone up instead because the credit application was approved?

Most Helpful Response

Common Cents

When you apply for credit from a lender, it means you need money.  It's really very simple.  The credit agencies know that if you had the liquidity, you wouldn't need credit from anyone.  The more creditors you ask for a loan, the less liquidity and thus the decrease in credit rating.  Every time you ask for credit, you are shouting to the credit5 agencies..."I WANT SOMETHING I CAN'T AFFORD!".

Good question

Over a year old and nobody knows? I ask again...Why does a hard inquiry lower your credit score so much?

Hard Inquiry Effects

The credit agencies may have reduced your credit score because of a different reason than the inquiry itself.  The increased outstanding debt can be the reason your score went down.